Monday, September 4, 2017

Girls, Guns, Gangs, and other G's

"Warriors and Conans hope euphoria can slowdance with society. The driver seat the first one to get killed. Seen a lightskinned nigga with his brains blown out at the same burger stand where &*!@ hang out. Now this is not a tape recorder sayin' that he did it, but ever since that day, I was lookin' at him different..."-m.A.A.d City, Kendrick Lamar

I've spent the summer making it a personal mission to know every lyric on Kendrick's "good kid, m.A.A.d City" album and track eight is the one that made me a)officially stop smoking and b)want to learn more about gangs. Living in a retirement town like  I know that gangs exist; however, they've never been anything I fret over. I wear the colors I please and am more worried about terrorists in white hoods burning crosses than I am about getting shot in a drive-by. Specifically, I've taken interest in girls' roles as gang members. Like males, they're often in it for the security and sense of belonging to something, but girls are willing to be sexually assaulted by every member of a gang to earn rank. That's terrifying. Not to mention if a girl is just affiliated romantically with a gang member, she is a gang affiliate by association and cannot cross into parts of town where rival gangs reside. It's scary to know that had I gone to Chicago and thought I'd met a decent guy, one day he'd randomly ask me to hold some coke for him. That's another way it happens. One day you're just "doing favors" for a guy-holding drugs or guns for him. I'm aware most of my current readers are fellow  but I know at some point that will change, so it's important to me that I reach broader topics. Ladies, please be careful about who you offer your time to. No, not all men are trash, but as a whole, they are. Do not look for completion in a relationship. Find completion in yourself. Do not endanger your life or the lives of those who love you lusting after something that can only be found when you aren't looking or creating it yourself. Are men innately manipulative? I don't believe so, however I do believe their jollies are gotten off by causing us to be submissive. Do not fall into the trap. I don't believe in gang affiliation for anyone, however I'm speaking to women because there is already so much we are susceptible to. Let's not add to it with gang full membership or even affiliation. My hood chicks, please understand that just because it is in your nature to be a "ride or die" doesn't mean you have to ride for someone willing to always compromise your security. These saggin' ass, half-grown, "It doesn't feel the same with a condom on" men are NOT worth your time. You deserve a love without violence. You deserve a love without bullying. You deserve a love that is not centered around your thickness or the lusting for your beauty. Know your worth. I speak specifically to you because I know none of you get the proper reassurance that you need. People are too intimidated by your personalities to be willing to understand you too are human. Love isn't just for the cosplaying Black girl or the conscious Black girl. Hood girls need love too. You all are not stupid. If anything, you are smarter than all of us. You know how to make a lot out of so little. You know how to have a good time. You're yourself in any given situation. All I ask is that you please use your creativity and street smarts to better yourself. Do not fall under the trap so many of our mothers and grandmothers fell under. You are not obligated to be loyal to anyone other than yourself. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resources for Reaching YOUR Political Reps

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative https://www.house.gov/representatives Representatives for Louisiana ...